Did you know that April is Oral Cancer Awareness month as sponsored by the American Dental Association? Every April we take the time to remind patients of the importance of getting screened for oral cancer. Routine screenings can save your life.
Longmeadow, MA dentist office Pioneer Valley Dental Arts encourages patients to learn more about oral cancer so they know the signs and can find treatment as soon as possible.
Did You Know? 10 Facts on Oral Cancer
- Dr. Evans and Dr. Ziemba provide oral cancer screenings at ever routine dental health exam for the well-being of their patients.
- Oral cancer screenings are painless and only take two minutes to complete.
- Early diagnosis of oral cancer can allow for highly effective treatment.
- Nearly 45,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer every year.
- Exposure to HPV increases your risk of developing oral cancer, it also decreases the average age of diagnosis. Patients as young as in their 20s are being diagnosed with oral cancer.
- Smokers, vapers, and chewers of tobacco are more likely to develop oral cancer. If you drink alcohol while smokers, your chances are even greater.
- Many cases of oral cancer turn deadly due to a lack of early intervention and routine screenings.
- If red or white spots, sores, thick patches, or lumps persist for more than two weeks, call Pioneer Valley Dental Arts to schedule an appointment.
- If you have a consistent hoarse voice or the feeling of a lump or something caught in your throat, these may be signs of oral cancer.
- Patients with a poor diet have an increased likelihood of developing oral cancer
Whether you have noticed changes in your oral health, or it is time to schedule your next preventative dental care visit, contact Pioneer Valley Dental Arts. Preventative dental care can help you avoid a whole spectrum of oral health concerns. Early diagnosis is key for effective treatment of many advanced dental health concerns. Contact our office or schedule a visit online.